Hyperhidrosis Services In Gold Coast
Abnormal increased sweating is known as hyperhidrosis. It can develop during childhood or later in life and can affect any part of the body, but the palms of the hands, soles of the feet and or the armpits are the most commonly affected areas. This excessive sweating may occur even during cool weather, but it is worse during warm weather and when a person is under emotional stress.
Some known causes include:
- Hormonal changes associated with menopause (hot flushes)
- Illnesses associated with fever, such as infection or malaria
- An overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism)
- Certain medications.
In the majority of cases, no investigations are required to diagnose hyperhidrosis. Occasionally, a blood test for thyroid disease is recommended.
Treatment for excessive sweating depends on the cause. This may include:
- Reducing weight – if obese
- Medical management – to reduce the hot flushes of menopause
- Antiperspirant applications – sprays, powders and roll-ons
- Iontophoresis – the activity of sweat glands is temporarily reduced by passing a low-level electric current through the skin
- Anti-wrinkle injections (Allergan Only) – to paralyse sweat glands. The effect from a single injection lasts six to nine months following a starch test.
- Surgery – to the nerves that control sweat glands may be considered in severe cases where all other treatments have been unsuccessful.
Although every patient is different, generally the required dosage for hyperhidrosis is approximately 100 units of Allergan product.
A starch test is performed which determines the area of the hands, feet or armpits contributing to the majority of the excess sweat.
Areas are then injected with Allergan product.
Treated individuals report a reduction of up to 80-90% of their previous sweat release in affected areas, however, every individual is different and results may vary.
Effects may be seen within 3-4 days, however, please allow up to two weeks for full effects to take place.
Book your consultation today
We offer complimentary consultations for all of our services, so call us today on 0755 262 331 to book a consultation time that suits you.BOOK NOW